With extensive experience in the treatment and prevention of wrinkles across Brisbane and the Gold Coast, Ashbury Cosmetics brings you this guide to the causes and common areas of this naturally occurring process.
What are Wrinkles?
The development of wrinkles is a natural process and an inevitable part of ageing. As we age our skin gradually loses those natural substances that have kept it smooth and hydrated, we slowly lose skin elasticity and volume, allowing the formation of wrinkles.
From around the age of 15 our skin goes through fundamental change; oil production increases, pores get larger and the rate at which our skin heals itself slows. Over time we start to lose volume and fine lines begin to appear. Light blemishes and sun damage also become more prevalent. Thinning skin, drier complexion and reduced cell regeneration result in a rougher skin texture.
These factors mean those habitual creases and ridges that occur during expression are more likely to leave impressions. Sun exposure is the single most influential factor in the development of wrinkles. Pollution and smoke can quicken the pace of ageing. Even our genetic make-up influences how quickly and severely wrinkles form.
There are two types of wrinkles: Dynamic and static.
- Dynamic – Also known as expressive wrinkles, are formed by repetitive movement, for example everyday facial expressions like smiling and frowning.
- Static – These wrinkles are more age-related and occur as skin sags because of the decrease in natural substances that keep skin firm, smooth and plump.
Common Formation Areas
- Frown Lines – Concentrating or squinting leads to ingrained furrows between the eye brows. This can give the appearance of being unhappy, annoyed or cranky.
- Forehead – Eyebrows and eyelids tend to sag over time and we compensate by using the forehead muscle, responsible for raising eyebrows, to counteract. This results in horizontal wrinkles.
- Crows Feet – These usually appear when laughing or smiling. They are the clusters of tiny wrinkles that form around the outer corners of the eyes.
- Bunny Lines – These form closely to each side of the nose and are related to crow’s feet, as they tend to originate from a lifetime of wide smiles.
- Nasolabial Folds and Accordion Lines – They are the folds that run from each side of the nose to the corners of the mouth and separate the cheeks from the upper lip. This is one of the most common areas of risk, which grows in length and depth with age.
- Neck – Every time you turn your head, swallow or speak, the neck is moving and stretching the skin. Repetitive gestures, when combined with sun damage, can cause deep lines and wrinkles on this area of the body.
Wrinkles are a totally normal part of ageing, which we all experience. At Ashbury Cosmetics in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast, our experienced team can help you undo the effects of wrinkles by offering the latest and most effective treatments. Performed by the best, experienced medical professionals available, we can achieve the successful and satisfying result you require. Call us today to book a consultation.